What are the Blues Awards?
Since 1913 the University of Canterbury Students’ Association (UCSA) has been recognising and awarding students who excel in their chosen sport. Blues are awarded for achieving a high level of sporting and academic standards and as such are named after the traditional sporting competitions between two original ‘Blues’, Oxford and Cambridge.
In 2017, the UCSA in association with the University of Canterbury (UC) developed the traditional sports focused Blues event into an all-round awards night celebrating a broader scope of student success. The event now consists of Sports, Community Engagement and the Arts categories.
Receiving an award at our Blues ceremony is the highest honour we can present students who have excelled in these areas.
Nominations close midnight, Sunday the 19th of August
The Nomination Process and Criteria for 2018
- Nominations must be made via the prescribed form with all sections completed.
- Anyone may nominate a person for a Blue. Individuals are able to nominate themselves.
- Nominations must be made before or on the close of nominations date. Nominations made after such date will not be considered by the Blues committee.
From all nominations, the panel will select individuals for Major Awards. The categories are:
- Sportsperson of the Year
- Outstanding contribution to University Sport
- Team of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Outstanding Achievement in the Arts
- Outstanding Achievement in Community Engagement
- Outstanding Contribution to Sustainability