Learn and play chess
Improve chess knowledge
Make new friends
Participate in tournaments
Club nights: Thursdays
Venue: Kirkwood KD07 and KD08
KD 07 - Puzzles, Casual games, Analysis, Chat and socializing
KD 08 - Ladder games
Time: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Suitable for all skill levels!
Ladder tournament for semester 1 has begun today. If you did not receive an email, feel free to contact one of the exec;
UChess Ladder Rules:
Special prizes for winners on top of the ladder at the end of semester 1
1. Initial positions on the ladder are determined randomly. Anyone is welcome to join the ladder at any point of time during the semester; new members of the club are added to the bottom of the ladder and must work their way to reach the top.
2. You may challenge anyone who is one, two, three or four spots above you on the ladder. If you are challenged to a ladder game, and you are not already in a game, and if there are atleast 30 minutes available to play, you must play the game. (A refusal to play is treated as a loss)
3. The player who challenges plays white. The person being challenged plays black.
4. Handling Results:
You will be given scoresheets and at the end of each ladder game, hand-in the scoresheets immediately to the person handling the Ladder duties.
If the lower-ranked player wins, the players swap positions on the ladder.
If it’s a draw the lower ranked player takes the spot just below the higher-ranked player.
If the higher-ranked player wins, the position remains the same.
5. After a ladder game is played, atleast one of the players must play a ladder game against someone else before they are allowed to play each other again.
6. Touch move is in effect. If you touch a piece and the piece can legally move, then it must be moved. If you touch one of your opponent’s pieces and if you can capture it, then it must be captured.
7. Clocks are optional and can be used if both players agree to it.
8. Additional rules may be added during the course of the semester to ensure fairness to everyone involved.
Ladder results as on 23-03-2017:
1. Matthew Ashton
2. Lars Dobbertin-King
3. Ed Rains
4. Daniel Suh
5. Suryaraj Salunkhe
6. Patrick Fauth
7. Jacob Young
8. Kieran Smith
9. Gavin Ong
10. Samuel Frengley
11. Casey Peat
12. Cris Reynolds
13. Sasiru Gunatillaka
14. Syaf Rohani
See you all next week !
Arun Kumar Manickavasagam, President
Samuel Jackson, Vice President
Khalid Salah, Secretary
Jeremy Nicholls, Treasurer