About the event
The YogaSoc commitee and close knit yogis love to head out of town and get back to nature. This usually in the form of a short two day hike. We want all our YogaSoc extended family to come along!
Don't worry there shouldn't be snow this time around. The hike is a 3-4 hour walk from Stae Highway 73 just past the UoC Cass feild station.
Things you need to know:
- If you do not have transport thats absolutely fine you can car pool with us
- You will have to supply your own food and equipment
- The area we will be adventuring in is detailed in the following link http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/canterbury/places/arthurs-pass-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/edwards-hawdon-route/ (Hawdon Hut to Hawdon Shelter).
- This is more of an adventure/ social event not a hard out serious hike.
Now for food and equipment, you will NEED:
- A pack preferably a hiking pack with a waist belt but a day trip pack should be fine
- A sleeping bag
- Shoes, hiking boots prefered but sneakers will be fine p.s. pro tip bring janels they are a lifesaver at the hut
- Clothing for all weather e.g. shorts to rain coat
- Food, you can get dehydrated food specially for hiking which are really nice but expensive otherwise noodles and pasta are a great alternative and for those meat eaters out there salami and biltong is a must have!
- Sunscreen/ Insect Repellant/ Toiletries including toilet paper
- Bowl, knife, fork, spoon, cup. If you have a small pot or billy can that would be ideal but you can borrow other peoples equipment your dinner might just be late.
Now for stuff that will make your life easier:
- Warm cuddly clothes for the hut
- Marshmellows, Lollies maybe a sneaky alcoholic beverage
- A first aid kit, matches, safety equipment, fire lighters, newspaper (life saver for wet boots)
- Cooking stove, gas canister
- Mini towel/ microfibre towel
This hike is always a good time and a great way to be introduced to the family